We’ve got 10 amazing apps for iOS and Android to turn photo into drawing in just a few clicks.
Are you a great photographer but not as talented at drawing? Or do you like photo retouching and would like to add a drawing effect to share or print? Well, to get a drawing or sketch effect from a photograph, there are applications that do it for you.
How to turn a photo into a drawing
If you’ve never tried photo-to-drawing apps, you’re in luck!
For the most part, everything these apps do is automatic. All you have to do is choose a photo you want to turn into a drawing or sketch. Then the program will convert it for you.
Each application has a different method for converting images into sketches. Some draw the lines and digitise the colours of your photos using algorithms. Others rely on artificial intelligence to create better reproductions of your photos.
Now, let’s go through the list and see which apps are ideal for you.
The order is random, it doesn’t mean that the first one is the best and the last one is the worst. We leave that up to you, try several of them and then you can choose the one you like the most and start turning photo into drawing 🙂
This drawing application contains over 2000 filters that turn your portraits and landscapes into beautiful masterpieces. Over 90 of these filters are drawing styles, which give your images that popular pencil-drawn look.
Using the free version of this image editor gives you a limited range of filters. To get the full collection, you’ll need to buy a weekly, monthly or yearly subscription.
To use the app, upload your image, scroll through the styles and tap the one you want. It’s that easy.
The only downside to this app for Android and iPhone is that you need an internet connection. The app sends the photos to the company’s servers for processing.
- More than 2000 artistic filters.
- More than 90 drawing filters that can turn your photo into a hand-drawn masterpiece.
- A wide range of editing tools for filter effects;
- Free (with in-app purchases).
Clip2Comic is an excellent application that can turn photos of your favourite people into caricatures. This app has a very simple user interface, so you are more likely to use it on your portrait photos.
This is for iPhone users only.
Touch an image (the original photo) to open it and quickly transform it into a comic book style drawing.
Convert photo to drawing cartoon, this drawing app is one of the best drawing apps for iPhone out there.
- Create cartoon and caricature-style photo effects;
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Editing tools for cropping, colour and brightness.
- Live cartoon camera option.
This application has similar features to Clip2Comic, as it can also convert photo to drawing cartoon and caricature.
What makes Toonme different is that it uses artificial intelligence to create realistic effects. It allows you to choose from dozens of styles and even tweak them to create different results.
Unlike Clip2Comic, Toonme is available on both iOS and Android. That means you can use it on pretty much any smartphone you own.
You can download Toonme for free. But you may have to buy some extra features and presets through in-app purchases. You also have the option to subscribe to Toonme Pro for €4.99 per month. It’s a bit pricey for an app, but if you end up using it a lot, you should consider it.
- Apart from cartoon-style photos, it also offers hand-drawn options.
- It includes dozens of layouts that you can use on anything from profile pictures to Instagram Stories.
- Lets you customize your art to make it look more authentic.
- Adds new presets regularly, so you’ll never run out of options.
- The toonme challenge lets you share your work with other Toonme users.
4 Enlight Photofox
This drawing app is perfect for those who want to make simple photo edits. But it’s also an excellent choice for those who want to turn their images into incredible works of art.
Enlight Photofox includes drawing effects, image correction, painting effects and photo filters.
To turn your image into a painting, go to the artistic part of the application and choose Drawing.
The best thing about this app for Android and iPhone is that you can further tweak any of the filter settings, making it fully customisable.
- 16 preset sketch tools.
- Mask your image to apply specific, local effects.
- Combine photo and text to create graphics.
- Allows you to create double exposures.
- Save images in high resolution for the highest quality possible
Photolab is a great app for Android and iPhone. It’s one of the best options if you want to turn photo into a drawing, a painting or even a watercolor image.
In addition to filters, you can also add borders, frames and montages to turn your photos into realistic artwork drawings.
Photolab has categories of effects to help you find the presets you like much faster. Each one will have several options to browse through, giving you full control over your photos.
In addition to the drawing app’s original features, you can make use of its essential editing functions. Things like colour adjustment, cropping, rotating and retouching are also possible.
- Choose an image from your Gallery or grab one through the app.
- More than 800 effects possible.
- E-card templates allow you to create holiday greeting cards.
- Additional photo filters include digital rain and jigsaw puzzles.
- Save your artwork or share it on social media from the drawing app.
Prisma is a great drawing app that allows you to turn your photos into popular painting styles from some of the world’s best artists.
Want to turn your photos into a Picasso or Van Gogh painting? These filters give you options with exciting patterns.
All you have to do is open your photos and choose from the different filters, and you’re done. They have some of the most creative names for sketch effects, like Curly Hair and Heisenberg.
Prisma also includes some editing tools. You can use your finger to adjust the intensity of the filter applied to your photos.
The only downside to Prisma is that you can’t save images at full resolution. This is a problem for those who want to print at a large size.
- 30 different artistic filters to choose from.
- Download new styles from the shop.
- An easy-to-use app, similar to Instagram.
- Online Prisma community.
- Works with videos and photos.
7 Watercolor Effect
This application is one of the easiest options to use. All you have to do is browse through the dozens of presets and play the one you like
It has about 30 filters that turn your photos into works of art. It doesn’t have a lot of editing tools, but it lets you adjust the amount of effect you want to add.
What makes Watercolor Effect unique is that it allows you to paint the photos yourself. You won’t need any filters, as you’ll be tracing the image with your fingers to create digital art. Not many other options on this list have this feature.
The downside to Watercolor Effect is that it only allows a 3-day free trial. After that, you have the option to subscribe weekly for £3.99 a week or £29.99 a year.
- The easy-to-use interface lets you create art faster than other apps.
- It includes oil painting presets if you want to turn photos into drawing and frame-ready artwork.
- Fewer controls mean less time fiddling around. Just choose a preset, and you’re done!
- The presets feature various painting styles, from impressionism to cubism
8 iColorama S
Want the best photo-to-drawing app Then you should try our top pick, the iColorama S. Not only does it look professional, but it also works as a legitimate editing suite.
The best thing about iColorama S is that you don’t need to convert your photos into a low-resolution file. It allows you to keep the high resolution for better quality.
A simple tap on the Menu brings up all the categories. For the Sketch tool, go to the Style section. Once you’ve chosen your preferred sketch style, you can adjust the intensity using the opacity slider at the bottom.
Application available for Android and Iphone.
The adjustment icon allows you to change the border levels and shadows. Note that the exported image will be the same as the imported image, so use large images.
- Various painting styles, including a sketch style for a drawing filter.
- 14 sketch options to choose from.
- Over 300 effects;
- Import and use Photoshop brushes.
- Huge iColorama S community on Facebook.
Brushstroke can turn your photos into a wide variety of painting styles, colour palettes and choice of canvas surfaces.
This app is really pro.
What we like is that you can order a canvas print directly from the app.
This iPhone app doesn’t create sketches or drawing strokes. Instead, it converts your photo into a drawing and then paints the image.
A pencil outline sits on top of the lines of the photograph, making it look hand-drawn.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Painting styles inspired by famous painters.
- Seven groups of styles.
- A wide range of sub-styles.
- Firm your prints for authenticity.
If you just want to have fun and play with different effects, then PhotoMania is for you.
Apart from the fact that it can convert photo to drawing or sketch, it also allows you to add frames that you can use for your profile pictures. If you like to send e-cards, PhotoMania also offers dozens of options that you can use.
All told, PhotoMania has some 400 presets, including sketch effects and even vintage looks. But perhaps the best thing about this app is that it doubles as an editing tool. It’s even ideal for adjusting exposure settings.
Ah, and did we mention that PhotoMania also has a mask tool? You can use it to apply drawing effects to certain parts of your photos. It’s a very cool feature that many other apps on this list don’t have.
Downloading and using PhotoMania is free. But it does require some in-app purchases for some presets.
- It allows you to adjust the sketch effect to get the best results.
- In addition to the sketch effect, it can also turn your photo into a painting, giving you even more artistic options.
- Includes advanced photo editing tools and presets such as HDR and Lomo.
- Add textures to your photos to create a more realistic look.
- Includes holiday templates that you can use for special occasions.
That’s it. Ten of the best photo to drawing converter apps for Android and iOS.
Remember that you don’t need to stick to just one app. Feel free to use a combination of these options to achieve the effect you want – don’t be afraid to experiment and turn your photos into beautiful works of art!
Ah! If you know or discover any more don’t forget to comment below and we’ll add them to the list so others can try them out 🙂