Strangers Things nailed the 80s vibe, didn’t it? And a big part of that is thanks to its iconic typography. The “Stranger Things” typography is a masterclass in how graphic design can play a key role in setting the tone and atmosphere of a work.
This typeface, created by the design agency Imaginary Forces, is inspired by Stephen King’s book covers and the works of artists like Richard Greenberg, who designed the titles of classic 80’s movies like “Altered States” and “The Goonies“. What makes this typeface special is how it captures that nostalgic and mysterious air that is so central to the series.
The typeface used is called ITC Benguiat, named after its creator Ed Benguiat. This font is super representative of the 70s and 80s. It is a serif typeface, with those little legs on the letters that give it an elegant and a bit retro touch. Those curves and the sharp edges of the letters, along with the use of shadows and a three-dimensional effect, add a sense of movement and depth that really catches the eye.
Best of all is how this typeface not only evokes nostalgia, but also complements the mysterious and slightly dark tone of the series. When you see that title, with its red and black color palette, and that distinctive typography, you immediately know you’re in for something exciting and maybe a little unsettling.
Free Download for Personal Use
The ITC Benguiat typeface is paid, but there is a replica of the variant used in Stranger Things that you can download for free for personal use only.
What can you use the Stranger Things Font for?
Using Stranger Things typography for personal projects can be super fun and creative. Here are some ideas, always remembering to respect the copyright and use it only for non-commercial purposes, right?
- Themed invitations: How about a birthday party or an 80’s themed gathering? Use typography for the invitations, giving them that mysterious and nostalgic touch. You can include elements like bicycles, walkie-talkies or the upside-down world to spice it up.
- Room decorations: If you are a fan of the series and you like DIY art, you could create posters with iconic phrases from “Stranger Things” using this typography. They would be great to decorate your room or a special corner in your home.
- T-shirt designs: If you like to design your own clothes, why not create T-shirts with phrases or designs inspired by “Stranger Things”? But only for personal use, not to sell!
- Personalized stationery: Notebooks, diaries, bookmarks, why not? A touch of “Stranger Things” in your study or work material can be a very cool detail.
- Digital art and wallpapers: If you’re good at graphic design, you can create digital art inspired by the series, using typography to add titles or phrases. You could also make wallpapers for your phone or computer.
- Scrapbooking projects: If scrapbooking is your thing, this typeface can add an interesting twist to your pages, especially if you are documenting events or memories from the 80s or related to science fiction themes.
- Greeting cards: Imagine making a thank you or greeting card with a touch of mystery and adventure. It would be unique and personalized.
Discover our compilation of TV series typefaces where you can find the letters used in your favorite series.